History of the Library
The Dawson Creek Public Library Association was incorporated under the auspices of the Public Libraries Act on December 2, 1946.
The Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 141, was a sponsor of the newly formed Public Library Association. The library’s first board members were: Marjorie Coutts – Chair, Norman Haddow – Secretary, Rosa Watson, Jack Paul and Guy Leeds. These first board members received assistance as well as advice from Public Library Association Official, Superintendent C.K. Morrison as well as librarians Margaret Strachan and Edith Sturday.
The year 1948 saw the library become a reality and a librarian was appointed, Mrs. Marjorie Coutts.
Originally the library was housed in a corner of the Public Library Commission space which was in the school board building. Later, a second room in the same building was utilized.
The library moved three more times, next to the former Anglican rectory as more space was needed, then to the Co-op building on 10th Street. Lastly in 1957 it was moved to the basement of the Public Library Commission building.
Twenty-five years after its incorporation, on December 2, 1972 the library moved to its current location on McKellar Avenue.